Dementia Prevention, the Natural Way
Senior Living | 11/27/19
These three statistics from the World Health Organization highlight the importance of awareness when it comes to Alzheimer’s and dementia diseases:
- Worldwide, around 50 million people have dementia, and there are nearly 10 million new cases every year.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia and may contribute to 60–70 percent of cases.
- Dementia is one of the major causes of disability and dependency among older people worldwide.
Dementia is a syndrome where there is deterioration in memory, thinking, behavior and the ability to perform everyday activities. Although the diagnosis may be prevalent, it is not necessarily a normal part of aging. We recommend the following tips to improve your health now to help prevent the onset of dementia in the future.
Tips on How to Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Exercise Your Mind – Much like your physical body, exercising your mind allows your cognitive abilities to get stronger. Regularly challenging yourself mentally and keeping your mind active helps to reduce the risk of dementia. Find something that challenges your brain that you enjoy doing, like solving puzzles, playing card games or reading.
- Exercise Your Body – Physical exercise is good for your heart, weight and overall wellbeing, which all help contribute to a stronger mind. Finding an exercise routine that works for you is important, but make sure to find one that incorporates at least 150 minutes of aerobic exercise a week and builds in resistance activities twice a week.
- Be Mindful of Your Diet – A healthy, balanced diet helps our bodies in a multitude of ways, one of which being helping you lower your risk for cognitive decline. Along with healthy eating, also remember to limit your alcohol consumption and quit smoking if you haven’t already done so.
- Reduce Stress – Many studies have linked anxiety with the development of Alzheimer’s, especially in people who are already at risk for the disease. Practice meditation, spend time with family and friends and find a relaxing activity you enjoy to reduce feelings of stress.
Learn How You Can Increase Your Wellness at The Oaks at Denville
At The Oaks at Denville, wellness is engrained in everything we do. Through our award-winning wellness program, LivWell, we ensure all seven dimensions of wellness are touched. From exercising in our fitness center or indoor pool to catching a guest lecture in the performance hall to learn something new, there are plenty of opportunities in the community for you to improve your health. Plus, the program is completely personalized, meaning you’ll be able to participate in activities you love and work on what is most important to you.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule your personal tour.