Fun Things to Do in the Summer
Healthy Aging | 08/14/20
The summer months offer you the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and get fresh air. Warm, sunny days are spent socializing with family and friends, moving your body and taking in the beauty of the outdoors. Keep reading for a few fun outdoor activities for older adults to enjoy in the summer months. Remember to also protect your skin and wear sunscreen when spending time soaking up the sun’s rays.
7 Outdoor Activities for Seniors to Enjoy on Warm, Sunny Days
- Start a Garden. Gardening is the perfect hobby for those looking for a low-impact activity that offers the opportunity to spend time outside. Gardening benefits you socially, mentally and physically. This hobby is a great way to get out in the sun and contribute to the beauty around you.
- Fly a Kite. When was the last time you focused on the little joys of life, like flying a kite? This is an especially great activity to do with grandchildren.
- Take a Walk. Walking is a great way to stay active. Whether it be a longer hike or a walk around the neighborhood, this activity helps to maintain cardio. It’s also a great way to enjoy the scenery around you and get some fresh air.
- Paint a Picture. Use the natural beauty around you as inspiration for your next masterpiece. Whatever medium you are most comfortable using, whether it be watercolors and a canvas or a pencil and paper, bring your artistic talent outdoors and enjoy the sunshine as you create.
- Have a Picnic. Your picnic can be as elaborate or as casual as you want it – the choice is yours. For a simple meal outdoors, pack a couple sandwiches and bottles of water to enjoy a change of mealtime scenery. If you’re looking for something a little more special or unique, grab your favorite cheeses, meats and fruits for a fun charcuterie board.
- Go Golfing. Golfing is a timeless game that offers many health benefits. This exercise helps build muscle strength, increase endurance and improve cardiovascular functions.
- Enjoy Downtown Denville. With four pristine lakes and a charming downtown area, you’re able to enjoy outdoor activities, restaurants, shops and cultural offerings in Denville. It’s a great place to spend a sunny afternoon with friends, family and grandkids.
Discover Opportunities to Enjoy the Outdoors at The Oaks at Denville
At The Oaks at Denville, our activities and amenities are tailored to residents’ interests and encourage a healthy lifestyle – including our outdoor campus. Residents are able to spend time enjoying the summer months and soak up the sun on the perfectly manicured lawn on the putting green or sitting in one of the outdoor areas. Some of our floor plans even include patios and balconies for your own private outdoor sanctuary.
Click through our online photo gallery to get a glimpse of the beauty of our campus. Or, to see our stunning campus for yourself, contact our team today to schedule a personal tour.