Best Stress Relief for SeniorsJuly 14, 2019
Stress-Relieving Tips for Older Adults
There’s no avoiding the feeling of stress. Not learning to manage stress, though, can lead to negative effects on our mind, body and behavior. Keep reading to learn about stress relief tips and amenities we at The Oaks at Denville offer to keep you relaxed.
A Few of the Best Stress Relief Solutions
- Talk to Loved Ones – Give your friends and family a call or set up a time to get together. Socialization with loved ones gives you a strong sense of self-worth and belonging, which can help you in stressful times.
- Light a Candle – You can try aromatherapy by burning a scented candle to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. Some especially soothing scents include lavender, peppermint, and lemongrass.
- Explore Meditation – Meditation is a technique that trains attention and awareness to achieve a mentally clear and emotionality stable state. This practice is something anyone can do – it doesn’t cost a thing or requires any special equipment. New to meditation and not sure where to start? Check out the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center’s page on guided meditations.
- Practice Deep Breathing Exercises – Your physical body reacts to stress, which leads to symptoms like a faster heart rate and shallow breathing. Learning deep breathing exercises helps you activate your parasympathetic nervous system, which controls the relaxation response.
- Be Grateful – Keeping a positive mindset and making the good things in life your focal point redirects your focus away from stress. Try keeping a gratitude journal or simply list the things you are most thankful for before falling asleep each night.
Participate in Relaxing Activities at The Oaks at Denville
Along with these stress relief tips, it’s helpful to find relaxing activities to participate in. At The Oaks at Denville, we offer unique amenities that support a stress-free senior living environment, including:
- Beauty Salon – There’s nothing quite like sitting back and relaxing while being pampered. Our beauty salon offers professional stylists for you to get your hair or nails done, all without ever having to leave our campus.
- Fitness – Through LivWell, our award-winning holistic wellness program, there are numerous opportunities for you to stay active in our community. Our state-of-the-art fitness center offers a wide variety of programming to keep you physically fit, including special classes such as 30 Minute Cardio Zone and Chair and Mat Yoga.
- Library – The invitation into a literary world distracts you from daily stressors and focuses your mind on the adventure ahead. From an array of classics to the local newspaper, our library has everything you need to cozy up with a good read.
- Performance Hall – Attending performances takes you to another world and is good for your health, including a decrease in stress. Our performance hall offers engaging events from guest lecturers to performances by our own residents.
- Maintenance-Free Living – When it comes to home repairs and housekeeping at Meadow Lakes, there’s no need for you to worry. We’ve got you covered. With maintenance-free living, everything is taken care of for you, so you can focus on enjoying the life you deserve.
Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your personal tour.