Hobbies for Seniors this WinterDecember 4, 2020
Hobbies for Seniors this Winter
The cold season can bring a winter wonderland, which is beautiful to look at from your window with a steaming cup of cocoa. It may also be fun to enjoy the snowy outdoors for a bit, but you don’t want to spend a full day outside in the frigidness. So, what do you do with the rest of your day when you can’t be out in the fresh air? If you want to keep your mind and body active this winter, it’s important to find indoor hobbies that will keep your interest. That’s why The Oaks at Denville has compiled a list of indoor activities for seniors so you can stimulate your body and brain during the frozen months.
Indoor Activities for Seniors to Enjoy
- Join a book club. You don’t have to be stuck inside to expand your mind by reading, but there is something comforting about curling up with a good book in front of a roaring fire. Of course, you don’t have to spend all of your reading time alone. Combine the growth of knowledge with enjoyable socialization by joining or starting a book club! If you can’t meet face-to-face, schedule time each week to meet with your club virtually through a video call.
- Participate in an exercise class. Getting your blood pumping is a great way to find motivation when you’re stuck indoors. Thankfully, you don’t need to go for a run outside to reap the benefits of exercise. Thanks to advancements in technology, you can access a multitude of instructional videos online for nearly every type of exercise. Or, if you’d like to be more social during your fitness time, The Oaks at Denville offers different activities each month, so you’ll never find boredom.
- Write. Many of us have felt the desire to jot down our memories into a memoir, create a tale of fiction or share stories from history. If this is something that resonates with you, winter is the perfect time to start on your writing journey. Grab pen and paper or your fully charged laptop and find a place in your home or shared space that inspires you.
- Grow your garden — inside! If you enjoy working in the soil during the summer, there’s no reason you have to stop during the colder months. You can find pots, seeds and soil from a nearby nursery or home improvement store. Then, watch life grow in the warmth of your home.
- Refine your art skills. Now that you have plenty of time on your hands to explore your creative side, why not fine-tune your skills? Indoor hobbies such as sketching or painting allow you to develop your creativity independently or in a group setting where you can socialize with others.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee with some friends. The solitude of winter can be a lonely time when you’re stuck at home by yourself. To help displace the isolation, find some time to get coffee with a friend and enjoy the socialization. If getting out of your home isn’t possible, make your own cup of coffee or tea and schedule a video call with some of your favorite people.
Find Joy in Indoor Hobbies with The Oaks at Denville
We believe the winter months should never be filled with loneliness at The Oaks at Denville. That’s why we’ve created activities and amenities to help keep you engaged with and connected to the community around you. Take a relaxing trip to the beauty salon to touch up your nails or hair for the holidays. Join a water aerobics class in our indoor, heated swimming pool to get your blood pumping. Or enjoy a delicious, healthy meal with friends in our fine dining area or Bistro. No matter how you choose to spend your time indoors, The Oaks at Denville has something for everyone.