Find the Right Home for You and Your Pet with Pet Friendly Senior LivingJanuary 8, 2021
Your pets are a part of the family. Where you go, they go. So, when you’re ready to make the move to a senior living community, it makes sense that your pet would go with you. Moving to a new community means many considerations to make, including ones that apply to your furry friends. You’ll want to be sure that your pet will be welcome with open arms and that they’ll feel at home.
While there is now an abundance of pet-friendly senior living apartment options, many come with restrictions. Before you decide on a new home for you and your pet, there are a few questions you should ask.
Questions to Ask when Moving with a Pet
- Are pets allowed in the community? This will likely be your foremost concern when you’re contemplating moving with your pet. While many senior communities allow pets, you should still confirm that the one you’re considering will welcome your furry family members.
- Are there any breed, size or temperament restrictions? While a community may allow pets, there may still be some limitations. Cats and small dogs are typically welcome, but some communities may not allow larger breeds. They may also request an assessment of your pet’s temperament to be sure that they will get along well with other members of the community — including the furry ones.
- Are there a limited number of pets per resident? Many pet owners don’t stop at just one pet. They choose to have multiple pets that can provide companionship for each other when they’re home alone. If you have multiple cats or dogs, find out if the community has a limit on how many pets each resident can bring.
- Are there any spaces available to pets? If you currently live in a home with a backyard or an apartment with a nearby park, Fido will be used to having plenty of outdoor space to roam. Ask about what space is available to your pup like walking trails or open grassy areas.
- Are there any additional costs such as monthly fees or a pet deposit? Costs associated with your pet should be factored into your budget. Ask the community if they require any initial deposits or monthly fees for your pets so you can weigh the costs.
- Are there any vaccination requirements for my pet? Some vaccines may be required to ensure the safety of every pet within the community. Ask which ones are a prerequisite and be sure to have any paperwork ready when you and your furry family member make the move.
Find a Home for You and Your Pet at The Oaks at Denville
The Oaks at Denville is proud to be a pet friendly senior living community, and we welcome both you and your four-footed friends into our senior apartments. When you choose us, you’re choosing both premier senior living services as well as a relaxing place to call home. Our sprawling campus offers plenty of green space for your pet to run and play, and our spacious apartments mean a comfortable place for you both to unwind at the end of the day.
If you want to learn more about how you and your pet can live a vibrant life in your golden years, contact our team today.