Top 10 Spring Foods and Recipe Ideas
The warm, spring weather brings us a plethora of fresh crops. These seasonal, spring foods are a wonderful way to get the nutrients you need while experiencing an array of flavors. Keep reading to discover which foods are in season, their benefits and spring recipes to inspire you.
10 Seasonal Spring Foods and Recipes
- Strawberries. Strawberries are a popular fruit because of their tart yet sweet flavor profile. They’re also high in vitamin C and antioxidants which benefit your immune system.
Recipe Inspiration: Strawberry-Chicken Salad with Pecans
- Spinach. Spinach is a nutrient-dense super food that is a great addition to your everyday diet. It’s particularly high in vitamin K which is important to bone health.
Recipe Inspiration: Spinach-Pesto and Artichoke Pasta Salad
- Peas. Right now, peas are in peak season through July, so fresh peas will be much more flavorful than canned. This powerful vegetable has more protein than other vegetables as well as fiber, thiamine, folate, manganese and vitamins A, K and C.
Recipe Inspiration: Creamy Spring Peas with Pancetta
- Mint. While mint isn’t something most people think about as a seasonal food, it has incredible healing properties. Mint contains both menthol and rosmarinic acid which are ideal for allergy and cold season.
Recipe Inspiration: Spring Vegetable Salad with Mint Pesto.
- Mango. Tropical fruit like mangos are known for their unique flavor profiles, but they are also incredibly nutritious. If you want to boost your immune system, lower cholesterol, improve your skin or better your gut health, mangos should be a part of your diet.
Recipe Inspiration: Grain Salad with Mango, Sprouts and Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Carrots. This vegetable offers vitamin A and plenty of antioxidants along with a satisfying crunch. If you prefer your vegetables a bit softer, there are many different ways to cook them while still getting the nutrients for healthy skin, nails and hair.
Recipe Inspiration: Grilled Carrots
- Beets. Beets are a great source of fiber, making them a great partner for your digestive health. They also help to lower blood pressure, increase circulation and improve stamina. They have a bold flavor, but they’re versatile enough to include in a wide range of meals from salads to smoothies.
Recipe Inspiration: Beet and Sweet Potato Fries
- Avocados. Avocados are currently having their time in the limelight, and for good reason. They’re loaded with healthy fats, good for heart health and are an important part of an inflammatory diet.
Recipe Inspiration: Caprese Avocado Toast
- Asparagus. This vegetable is perfect for those watching their weight. With very few calories and an abundance of nutrients, asparagus is central to blood clotting, bone health and a healthy digestive tract.
Recipe Inspiration: Trout, New Potato and Asparagus Traybake with Dill Mustard Sauce
- Artichokes. Fresh artichokes are even better than preserved ones, especially now that they are in season. This vegetable (which is actually a thistle) is dense with folic acid, minerals and vitamin C.
Recipe Inspiration: Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Taste Healthy Spring Recipes with The Oaks at Denville
The Oaks at Denville in New Jersey believes that dining should be an experience. Our culinary team ensures not only that each meal is full of healthy ingredients, but that every bite on our rotating menus is infused with flavor. You can learn more about The Oaks at Denville by contacting our team today. We’re always happy to answer any questions you may have.