- About Us
- Living Options
- Events & News
- Making the Move
March 10, 2021, 12:00 pm-1:30 pmJoin us in our auditorium for an informative downsizing presentation with a panel of local expert... RSVP Now
Healthy Aging | 08/28/19
Do you have a nighttime routine? Some people take time to think about their day and journal. Others need a moment to decompress and meditate or listen to a sound machine in order to get their mindset in place for sleep. Most perform some sort of hygiene ritual, like washing faces and brushing teeth. Every person’s routine is different, but the important thing is to prepare our bodies and minds for rest, something that is essential to wellbeing.
Restful sleep benefits your health greatly, no matter your age. Contrary to popular belief, seniors don’t need less sleep than the average person – in fact, all adults need about seven-to-nine hours a night. In this post, we at The Oaks at Denville explore just a few of the numerous health benefits of getting enough sleep.
1. Enhances Your Immune System: While getting more sleep won’t necessarily prevent sickness, not getting enough can adversely affect your immune system function. Research shows that not getting enough sleep over a period of time stresses the body, resulting in chronic inflammation and a weakened defense against illness. Your body needs consistent, quality time to rest in order to refresh your immune system and prevent disease.
2. Inhibits Growth of Cancer Cells: It’s true – sleep may help prevent the growth of certain cancer cells. This is due to the hormone melatonin, which is what regulates the sleep-wake cycle and is released during periods of darkness. Research has found that, “To combat cancer, studies have shown that melatonin significantly suppresses cell proliferation and induces apoptosis.”
3. Improves Your Heart’s Function: The Centers for Disease Control reports that lack of sleep can lead to health problems like high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes and obesity, which raises the risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke. Keeping in mind that cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, heart heath is vitally important for healthy aging – and one way of achieving this is simply to get the recommended amount of sleep.
4. Boosts Your Memory: It’s proven that sleep deprivation impairs attention and working memory, as well as long-term memory and decision-making. Ample sleep makes for a sharper mind, and keeping an active brain is necessary for healthy aging.
5. Allows You to Focus on Social Connections: When you don’t get enough sleep, you feel like you’re sluggishly coasting through the day rather than actively engaging in the community and fully participating in activities. Plus, studies have found that poor sleep affects your ability to process emotional information and recognize important social cues when interacting with others, making you feel disconnected.
We want you to sleep well at The Oaks at Denville knowing that you are living the lifestyle you’ve worked so hard for. Take advantage of one of our many relaxing amenities, like pampering yourself in our beauty salon or enjoying a fun show in the performance hall. Plus, you can sleep soundly knowing that with our maintenance-free lifestyle, everything you need is taken care of for you. Contact us today for more information and to schedule your personal tour.