Heart Healthy Living
Healthy Aging | 05/18/19
Support Your Heart: Tips to a Healthy Heart
Your heart is one of the most vital organs in your body. And, although cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, there are many lifestyle habits that can help manage your blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart attack, stroke and other heart diseases. Keep reading to explore some of the best tips we’ve found at The Oaks at Denville to support your heart health.
Top Heart Healthy Tips
- Get Up and Move – Perhaps the most evident tip to ensure heart health is exercise. By incorporating physical fitness into your routine three or four times a week, you lower your blood pressure and make your heart stronger. Aerobic activities, like walking, light jogging and swimming, engage your heart for long periods of time, which is among the most effective ways to improve heart health.
- Keep a Healthy Diet – Healthy eating contributes to a multitude of health benefits, including lower blood pressure. One diet plan specifically encouraged to ensure heart heath is Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, or DASH. This plan, promoted by the American Heart Association and Mayo Clinic, emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grain, and lean proteins.
- Minimize Stress – Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Relax. Cleveland Clinic finds that stress affects factors that increase risk of heart disease, including high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, irregular heart rhythms and damage to your arteries. Learning how to manage stress helps combat heart disease. Some ways to manage stress include connecting with others, practicing meditation and learning relaxation exercises.
- Visit Your Doctor – At least annually, make a trip to the doctor to check blood pressure and cholesterol. Discuss healthy lifestyle habits that can help you maintain heart health and be sure to talk to your doctor if you find your stress is overwhelming.
Achieve Heart Healthy Living at The Oaks at Denville
At The Oaks at Denville, we offer healthy lifestyle opportunities through LivWill, our award-winning holistic wellness program. Here are a couple of ways you can improve your heart health right in our community:
- Visit our newly renovated dining area for healthy food choices. Our chefs create delicious, nutritious meals featuring seasonal ingredients and culturally diverse menus. We ensure quality in every meal we prepare.
- Participate in one of our many fitness classes, like chair yoga and 30-minute cardio zone. And along with access to the fitness center, you also have the chance to use our indoor heated pool for a low-impact exercise option available year-round.
- Take a moment to relax. Whether it be spending some quiet time in your lovely open concept apartment, diving into a good book from our library or letting us pamper you in the beauty salon, taking a moment to yourself resets your mind and lets you focus on the most important thing: you.
Contact us today to learn more about the heart-healthy activities and amenities at The Oaks at Denville.